Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Extra Crispy on that Order

I spend a lot of time lamenting on my current days as an unfulfilled woman, so when this came across my radar, I heard my inner voice loud and clear tell me to hang up that issue for a while. We bank out of town, and I am sent packing to the bank at least once a week to make deposits. I usually take a couple of hundred bucks and run to Wal-mart while I am there, and I also time it so that I can eat lunch at the KFC too. Hey, I like fried things, sue me. I am always alone, which is kind of sad, but I have learned to use it as a tool for researching the ways of strangers. Most of you know how I don't currently have a job, didn't finish college, usually feel a little left out of the world, and am always wishing for the huge success it looks like most of my peers attained over the years. I realize that that would require great determination on my part, and I guess I don't subscribe to that way of thinking, so here I am spending my free time watching Rock of Love Bus, and people watching at the KFC over lunch. They are always very friendly, and I can't help but feel a twinge of guilt over me going without a job for so long when they are obviously working at that place just to survive. This week I was eating my little fried delight a little later in the day, and the place was super quiet. This allows me to listen to the conversation going on in the kitchen area. These girls were going over who made the brown gravy, and who was watching the fryer, when a woman with a raspy voice came in. She struck up a short conversation with the order taker girl about local matters, and then asked if so and so was working there. She said the girl in question was in the back, and that she was welcome to chat. Here comes this pitiful soul from the back, with a greasy looking pony tail, too skinny, and bad teeth bouncing up to the counter. They hugged across the counter, and exchanged pleasantries. Raspy girl asked her if they had just moved, and the girl explained that they had, across from him, and down the street from her, in the white house on the corner. Raspy girl was really excited about this, and said she needed to come over and visit sometime. Greasy pony tail girl thought that sounded super, and told her to look for her car. Raspy was elated, "You got a car?" she said. In the purest and most genuine happy voice Greasy pony tail said "yep, we GOT A CAR!" Raspy was just beside herself in awe of this sad creature. She said, how great that was, and said she would come by. Greasy, who was busying around the counter while she was talking came back with the most profound thing I have heard all week. She smiled, and said, "and you know what? We got a phone this week too!" I don't have a lot by some people's standards, but, this was playing in my mind as I walked out to my Tahoe, with a few hundred bucks in my purse, after just going to Wal-mart to buy dog and cat food, and lotion, and some other frivolous items, while getting a text on my cell phone from a friend who also has all these wonderful things. It even gets old to me to hear myself whine about what I don't have in my life, and just like her, I want more, but what really struck me is that I have more without doing anything for it than she will ever have working 8 hr shifts at the KFC. I love my parents and my husband for taking care of me, and I know they think I am a ding dong most of the time. I truly appreciate what I have, and wish I felt like I was in a position to move forward with the bettering of me. I might not be ready yet, and I might not have a lot of extras for my lack of motivation, but I can tell you people one thing for sure. I am NOT going to fry chicken for a living. Better keep looking for something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment